Monday, August 18, 2014

some sad news

Let’s go back a bit to 1959. Or at least back to this post I wrote in 2013. My great grandmother once had a plant called Night-Blooming Cereus. When it bloomed, everyone in the neighborhood came over to see and SMELL it. It was big news and an article was written about the event in the local newspaper.

This was back in the day when newspapers were print and the news was sometimes GOOD! ☺

Six years ago, my husband bought me a night-blooming cereus plant. It only blooms every 7 years, so I’ve been waiting very patiently. I keep it outside in the summertime and move it inside every October through May.

I’ve been babying it just to see a bloom and catch that marvelous smell that I’ve read about.

Two weeks ago, a new leaf appeared. Then a bloom. Very strange and “out of this world” looking. One bloom only.


I waited and waited. Last Thursday, I did this sketch as I knew it would open soon.

But you want to hear the sad news? I had to go out of town this weekend to attend a baby shower. And I missed it.

My husband stayed home with the cats and dog and he says that it never bloomed…just sort of shriveled up. I don’t know if he was trying to make me feel better or what.

So now, I have to wait 7 more years. Sigh.


But on a happier note, my Pregnant Plant is doing very well. I’m not sure what the official name is. I bought this at the Farmer’s Market and that’s what the seller called it. Each leaf gets a million little “babies” on it that drop off and start a new plant. This is one fertile plant!

3 comments:

  1. Did your husband stay up all night every night?? I'll bet it bloomed as soon as he nodded off - maybe invest in a babycam in 7 years? Too bad you missed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of either of these. But I like your drawings of them! :) (Sorry you missed the 'bloom'.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me so curious that I immediately did some reasearches in the internet for some pictures of this plant. It looks great but your's is the prettiest even with a closed bloom and your story is really remarkable as well as your grandma's story. I clicked the link and found the post you did about her and the article about the night blooming plant in the newspaper. I love the picture you painted of her. As already mentioned previously your index cards inspired me so much that I also created something and mentioned your blog within my post. If this is not ok for you please let me know and I will immediately delete it. It's a pitty that your husband told you about the unexpected end of this incident. I'm looking forward to 2021 ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
You just made my day!!